Thursday, October 30, 2008

dear daddy

dear daddy,

it's been said that you're a wonderful, wonderful teacher. many have sat under and been blessed by your preaching. the two things that you have been called to do, you do well. but you have done neither one as well as being my dad.

i may get my physical attributes from mom, but my personality comes from you. i guess that explains our shared ocd moments, the need for everything to be clean, and our excitement for the first day of school, not because school is so exciting because everything is so new-crayons, pencils, books.

you were my very first role model. you were the one who taught me to hold onto my values and never let go. i learned to trust in God because i saw you trusting in God. my kids will have a safe, secure and happy childhood because you and mom saw to it that we had that growing up. my kids will know Jesus because of your influence. when i hear people speaking highly of you or talking fondly of you as their pastor or teachers, i just think, "that's MY daddy!"

the past couple of years have been the sweetest yet, because you've become so much more than a father. i look forward to the next few years because i know they will be even better.

i'm sorry you didn't get to do much on your birthday, but we'll make up for it at the party.

thanks for being my daddy. i love you.

1 comment:

Jehu Hernandez said...

Oh Bethany, you just gave me a wonderful birthday gift! I love you, too.