Sunday, October 5, 2008

mixed emotions

ah, first graders. let me give you some background on this latest story.

my kids have spelling homework every day except wednesday. i send home a paper that has the list on the top, and a place to write the words on the bottom. i completely forgot to put their spelling homework in their folder thursday, so as you can imagine, i had some very confused parents and students friday morning. of course my students were very quick to point out my mistake. later that day we were taking a math test, and i was calling out combinations to them and they had to write down the answer. i made another mistake (which cracked them up) so i said, "miss hernandez is full of mistakes, isn't she?" while everyone laughed, one girl said, "but you're still beautiful!"

wait. the story's not over.

later my kids went to the library, and the librarian gave them a riddle. after library time was over, the librarian dropped off the class and told them that she would tell me the riddle to see if i could get it. they all got a big kick out of the fact that i didn't get the riddle (hey, it was hard!) and when they calmed down from telling me the answer, i heard one boy say under his breath, "our teacher's not very smart."

yeah. it was a great day.

No comments: