Thursday, July 12, 2007

info for today

i found out some more useful information today.

but first i need to give you some background info on my braces (you're getting excited, aren't you?).

i have a wire, called a 6x6, that sits right above the roof of my mouth (aka hard palate). it's been there since they put my braces on. it annoys me greatly.

anyway, since my teeth have been moving in to close my gaps (hallelujah!), they pushed the 6x6 up until it was rubbing against my hard palate. and it hurt. oh, it hurt so much. it hurt to swallow, which meant that it hurt to eat. and (gasp) it hurt to drink dr. pepper. not that it stopped me from drinking dr. pepper, but it still hurt. if i hadn't had an appointment already scheduled, i would have called right then.

so as i drove to my appointment today, i prayed my little heart out that the orthodontist will take my 6x6 out.

when i got there, i told the nurse about my pain. when she looked inside my mouth, i heard her gasp softly (i guess so i wouldn't hear, but i still heard). then she looked at me and said, "you have a sore...AND it's swollen!"

well, that explains the pain.

she called another nurse over to where i was sitting and showed her my mouth. "look, she has a sore...AND it's swollen!" they started discussing what the orthodontist would do when he sees it.

"do you think he'll take the 6x6 out?"
"no, maybe he'll just bend it so that it's not rubbing up against her sore."
"yeah, i think it has to stay in."
"so what did you tell her to do?"
"i gave her something to numb it so she can eat. and i told her to gargle with salt water." ewwwwwwwwwwww

at this point the other nurse looked at me and said, "yeah, i think salt water is your best bet. it'll get rid of the swelling."

well, thank you. i gathered that from the conversation you had right next to me.

finally, the orthodontist came to see me. before he got a chance to actually look at my mouth, the nurse leaned over and said, "dr. k, look at the roof of her mouth. she has a sore...AND it's swollen!"

at that point, i just wanted to get up from my seat and say "WE GET IT ALREADY! I HAVE A SORE....AND IT'S SWOLLEN!"

but i didn't. i kept my composure.

dr. k took one look at it, sat quietly for a minute, then said, "well, i guess we'll just take it out."

i could have kissed him right then. but again, i kept my composure.

it actually hurt a little when they removed my 6x6 because they had to use a drill (ouch), but it was totally worth it. i don't have anything rubbing against my hard palate anymore. it's great.

so here's your new information (at least new to me) for the day:

you can get a sore on your hard palate...and it could get swollen!

p.s. i'm drinking a dr. pepper right now and it doesn't hurt. glorious.

No comments: