Tuesday, January 29, 2008

3rd graders-gotta love 'em

i have this student-a boy-who is so hyper. i mean, he really tries my patience. he's cute and incredibly smart, but i'm constantly getting onto him for being silly and disrupting the class. when he gave me my christmas present, one of the items was a bear ornament. he said, "and this is from my christmas tree. DON'T TELL MY MOM!" then today he asked me to assign him a 500-word essay on squanto. he was heartbroken when i told him that i wouldn't tell his mom that he HAD to do it (did i mention that his mom is my principal? yeah...). anyway, he has these moments where he redeems himself. i never walk through a door when he's not holding it open for me. he is one of the few that says "yes ma'am" and "no ma'am." he is very bright-so much so that he really, really wants to do that 500-word essay on squanto.

i told him he could work on it during his free time. maybe then the class will be a little quieter.

but then today while i was sitting at my desk grading papers, i looked up to see him standing there. i had to stop myself from sighing out loud because i'm also always telling him to stay in his seat. when i asked him if he needed anything he responded, "nothing. i just want to give you a hug."

i melted. after i gave him the hug, of course! isn't that cute?! it just made my day.

see what i mean about being smart? he knows how to get on my good side, and he didn't even have to bring me chocolate!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hahahaha..I only wish mine were begging me to write a 500 word essay on sqanto!

I'm still laughing about the hug..precious!