Saturday, September 6, 2008

sweet boy

if you've been reading this blog for a few months, then you might remember me writing about a certain boy in my third grade class who made teaching fun and interesting. i have so many stories about him, and just because he isn't in my class anymore doesn't mean that the stories have stopped.

a couple of weeks ago i was outside with my class, waiting for their parents to pick them up. his class walked out and he stopped to talk to me. he asked me how first grade was going, and i told him, "oh it's good. kinda tiring, though." later he came back and told me, "miss hernandez, i thought i'd come give you a hug since you've had such a tiring day."

then yesterday he surprised me even more. thursday night, we sent letters home with all the kids that had some school information on it as well as the updated teachers' wish lists. friday morning i was working in my room before school started, and he came in. he had made a #1 out of legos, and handed it to me. he told me that he saw on my wish list that i wanted legos for my classroom, and that was all he had, but he wanted me to have it. he told me, "i'll check at home to see what else i have." i was so touched by his generosity. i told him that i appreciated it, and he responded, "well i know it's not a lot, but maybe it'll keep your kids occupied for a few moments."

what a mature 4th grader!

but it meant so much to me that he saw my wish list and gave me what he could. i talked to his mom (my principal, remember?) and she told me that he is intent on finding stuff for me, because it will help me out. can anyone ask for a sweeter boy?

No comments: