Wednesday, July 23, 2008

s-c-a-r-y

i remember having a certain conversation a few years ago with my dad. i'm pretty sure it was after i had changed my major or shortly before. anyway, we were in the drive-through line at starbucks, and we were discussing how many children follow in their parents' footsteps and end up in the same career or something similar.

i thought about what i wanted to be when i was younger. i really wanted to be a singer! but before that, i wanted to be...a pastor's wife. yep, one of those people. you know, the ones that always have their own lives together, the ones that have an encouraging word for everyone and are never mad. in my defense, i was around the age of 6. then i grew up. i realized that pastor's wives have it tough. it's not a glamorous job. it hurts. it requires much more of you that you're willing to part with. so in jr. high, i stupidly declared that i would never be a pastor's wife. man, that's like praying for patience! but during that time of deciding that i wouldn't never voluntarily put myself through something like that (ok, i'm a little dramatic), people would tell me that they could see me as a pastor's wife. my jr. high basketball teacher even told me that. we were asking him what he thought we would be when we were older, and when he got to me, he looked directly at me and smiled as he said, "bethany? i see her as a pastor's wife." what does a basketball coach know, anyway?!

but one thing that never entered my mind was to be a teacher. if i wasn't going to be a singer, then i would be a music teacher, but not a classroom teacher. and especially not a first grade teacher. have i mentioned that i'm teaching first grade this year? funny how God changes things, huh?

all this to say that the other day, my aunt was cleaning out drawers and found some papers that we had filled out in children's church loooooong time ago. on it we filled out our name, where we were born, what we wanted God to do, and what we wanted to be when we grew up. i laughed until i saw my paper:

when i grow up, i want to be a pastor's wife and a teacher.

that's what i wrote. THAT'S WHAT I WROTE!!!

i'm so scared.

No comments: