Wednesday, February 25, 2009

do eyelashes grow back?

oh boy, do i have a story for you.

before i start with that, let me just say that we had a wonderful time celebrating joey's birthday on monday. it's hard to believe that he's already nineteen. i still remember my initial shock when he was born and he looked...um....very white. i still don't know why that is. oh well. i'll post pictures from dinner later.

now back to last night's drama.

last night was the first night that i was going to have free, so i had lots of plans for myself. i was going to clean out my closet, type up the syllabus for our small groups that started tonight (of which i'm obviously not at), and bake biscuits for this morning so that i would have breakfast.

none of that happened.

i had made the dough for the biscuits and was going to start on the rest of the stuff while they were baking. i turned on the oven and bent over to light it, and when i did that the fire flamed up and singed my face.

yes, my face. and my hair. and my right arm.

turns out i don't know how to turn on the oven the right way. i turned away from the flames as fast as i could, but the damage was already done. i have a first degree burn on my arm and my face. even the tip of my right ear is red. i ran my arm under cold water, which already feels better. but what the hurt the most were my lips. i was in excruciating pain; nothing has EVER hurt like that. i wet a washcloth and placed that over my lips, but even that wasn't giving me much relief. my dad talked to my doctor, and he called in some pain medicine for me, which has worked wonders. i'm not in so much pain anymore, but my lips are definitely swollen. that's not such a great thing when you already have big lips. so today i stayed home from school since the pain medicine knocked me out, and my dad took care of my small group for me. i'm so glad that i have people that i can depend on when i'm not feeling 100%.

things could have been so much worse, though. the burns could have been more severe, and if my hair hadn't been in a ponytail, it could have caught on fire and burned my face even more. right now my lips hurt, but i know that the swelling will go down. my face feels like i have a sunburn on it, but that will go away. my eyelashes will grow back (right?) and my hair won't have that singed look anymore. i know beyond a shadow of a doubt that God protected me last night. i am beyond grateful that it wasn't more serious.

4 comments:

lisoto said...

i cried after we talked on the phone. out of gratitude to God and out of nervousness i guess. now i want to go out and buy you a present to make you feel better. what would make u feel better????

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh Bethany! I'm so glad that you're ok!! I'll be praying for you!

kjjbbq@gmail.com said...

First of all Bethany, we are praying for you! Second, believe with all your heart that your eyelashes will grow back. Angelique and I both have our eyelashes back and no permanent damage to speak of. We were kids when this happened to us. I thought she was going to kill me that day for turning the gas up so high. Yes it was my fault. The oven wouldn't light so I told her "You have to turn it up high like this," and I turned the gas up and 10 seconds later we struck the match on the box. We burned a lot of hair that day. The smell of burnt hair reminds of that day from many years ago. I haven't always been the kitchen expert I am today (ha ha). I'm so glad that God protected you from something worse. We pray that you will heal quickly.

Mrs. Murphy said...

hey i'm so sorry this has happened to you :(... I want to paint your new eyebrows on!! won't you let me do that!! haha!! i think it could be fun!!
oh and how did you get that background.. mine has been the same one since i started, which i never ever blog anyways. but i still want my page to look pretty.